UK Immigration Law

Have UK Immigration Law Questions? Get Answers Now.

UK Immigration Law

I am British and living back in the UK for the past 9 mouths

and want to bring my...
I am British and living back in the UK for the past 9 mouths and want to bring my wife of (9 years married ) and my step daughter (18 years) from South Africa i am working in Brackley how much will it cost and which forms must i fill in.

yours truly

Keith
3/17/2013
Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Hi

What salary do you earn from your employment? There is a salary threshold.

Kind regards.

Tom

£30,000 P/A

£30.000 P/A

Hi

Thanks for your patience.

She will need to apply for a spouses visa (ie. Settlement) if she is to come here to settle with you permanently. She will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4A Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your wife before submitting it to ensure the best possible chance of success upon determination by the UKBA.

The fee for the application for your wife.. Is £826 if made outside the UK before 6th April. If made outside the UK after 6th April it will be £851.00

If the application is well prepared and you meet the following eligibility criteria then it will make the application easy and quick to decide upon for the UKBA. To be eligible, you must show:-

• 1. That you are legally married to each other
• 2. You are present and settled in the UK
• 3. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife
• 4. You can support each other without the need for public funds
• 5. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds
• You must meet the financial requirement. If based on salary then the UK based spouse must earn a minimum income threshold of £18,600, but the figure is increased if children are coming to £22,400 for one child and an additional £2,400 for each further child. Additional information on how to meet the financial requirement here:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/IDIs/chp8-annex/section-FM-1.7.pdf?view=Binary

You have to produce to the UKBA documentation that proves the above. This would be some of the following:-
• Bank statements from both you and your wife going back 6 months showing the income/capital you have available
• Payslips (6 month of) and a letter from your employer stating that you have a permanent job, contract of employment
• Documentary evidence of any other assets you hold (eg. Shares, evidence of ISAs or bonds)
• Marriage certificate, Birth Certificate, passport
• Evidence of correspondence between you and your wife showing that the relationship is credible and genuine (eg. Emails, letters, evidence of previous trips, photos showing you together, phone records
• Evidence of the accommodation where you will live (ie. land registry officials copies of the property that you own, mortgage documentation, copy tenancy agreement if you rent, council tax statements, house report by a solicitor, letter from landlord confirm he is happy to give you a further tenancy agreement
• You should also include job adverts showing jobs available that your wife could do when she comes here and show, via your wife’s CV, that she has the qualifications and work experience that she would be a viable candidate for those roles
Further information here:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp/documents/maintenance/

The problem with your step daughter is that normally she would apply on the basis of being a dependent of your wife. However, because she is taken to be an adult she would not qualify to apply simply as a dependent daughter. Instead, she would have to apply on her own basis for a visa. If applying as an adult dependent relative you would have to show that she is completely dependent on her mother and you despite the fact that she is of adult age. Confirmation here:
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp/children/

If applying on this basis I really would recommend getting a solicitor to draft the application for you because of this complication.

The fee for this would be £1,850 before 6th April and £1,906 after 6th April.

You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-
http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Thomas
Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor