How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what are types of visa that permit perminant residancy in

This answer was rated:

what are types of visa that permit perminant residancy in UK?

Thanks for posting a further question.

In order to get “permanent residence” (ie. the right to remain indefinitely in the UK without visas) then you would first have to come to the UK on a visa and remain here on that visa for a period of 5 years. At the end of the 5 year period then you could apply for Indefinite Leave To Remain (ie. Permanent Residence).

- You do not have an UK ancestry
- You do not have any European Economic Area member state nationality
- You are not in a relationship with a UK citizen, EEA member state citizen, a foreign national holding Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK OR limited leave to remain in the UK
- You do not have access to significant funds for investment in UK business (ie. £200, 000.00)

Then you would be looking at applying for a work visa.

The two open to you would be
1) Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Worker Visa
2) Possibly Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa

As to Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Worker Visa you will have to see if there is a job that you could do in the UK on the shortage occupation list:-

You would have to then secure a job offer from a UK employer who is or would become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants:-

If your job is not on this list then this means that you employer would have to apply to become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants and also confirm to the UKBA that they have carried out a the Resident Labour Market Test. This test is effectively to show that their are no resident/eea national in the locality that can perform your role, though this might be difficult if there are other accounts officers who could do the role.

If they are willing to sponsor then you will also have to meet the requisite number of points under the Tier 2 points based system:-

You will see at the top right hand side there is an option to use their calculator to work out how many points you are eligible for.

There is lots of information on Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers visas here:-

As to Tier 1 Exceptional Talent you would have to obtain an endorsement from the Royal Academy if you are to work as a doctor. There are a very limited number of endorsements available for this category and competition is absolutely massive. If you were to apply under this category you would have to focus on getting the endorsement first.

Here is the link to the UKBA page on Tier 1 Exceptional Talent vsias :-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you TOM , you offer me excellent service , you are very expert lawer & kind friend , thx you again for yours advice

Dr. Saffa Customer


Dear Saffa,

Thank you for your kind note. I would be grateful if you would kindly rate this answer accordingly.

Good luck.

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions