Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

i was awarded indefinite leave to remain in the uk in 1998.

Customer Question

i was awarded indefinite leave to remain in the uk in 1998. i have been working for the united nations in several countries for years, and have no fixed abode anywhere, excepting where i am on mission. i am entitled to apply for uk citizenship now, or do i need to be body present in the uk for any consecutive period?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

In order to apply for naturalisation you must have a period of residence in the UK leading up to the date that you apply for it.

If you obtained ILR on the basis of being a spouse of a UK national or foreign national already holding ILR then the residence requirement are as follows on this link under the heading “Residential Requirements”:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/naturalisation/spouseorcivilpartnerofcitizen/

If you obtained ILR on another basis then the requirements are also under the heading “Residential Requirements” on this link:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/naturalisation/standardrequirements/

If you have been out of the UK for a number of years then I’m afraid that you would not meet these requirements due the not having the appropriate residence time in the UK.

Furthermore, if you have been out of the UK for a number of years then you may have lost your ILR status and may have to make a further application before you can return to the UK.

I am very sorry.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on your position. Please remember to rate my answer, if you are satisfied.

Kind regards,

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Kind regards,

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Kind regards,

Tom