How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7618
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi i am not sure if i double sent the question since i dont

This answer was rated:

Hi i am not sure if i double sent the question since i dont see any record on my profile

Here i have further questions regarding to my last question about my tier 2 visa will meet the redanduncy situation.

Incase i cant find another sponsor, my boyfriend wants to marry me to keep me here in the uk, however our situation might be concerning, we have just dating for half year, he is unemployed for half year and living with his parent in the council flat. And i earn 30k and could be more for the next job.

So heres is my question, do all these be very difficult for our application?
If i went back to my country and work for few months and he got a job in the future, even tho he doesnt have sufficient salary 18 something k would my salary in my own country helps?
If he still stay in the council flat that be a problem for our application?
What is the shortest dating duration befor getting married is acceptable for the office? Some people do it pretty quickly and success for applying?

I am asking all these because my bf told me his uncle has the same situation as him (umempolyed , living in a council)also got married to a lady they just met, and she stays here now , i dont know how possible they were successful, as i research other people's case it doesnt tell me thats that simple.

And lastly please advise me anyway to increase the successful of my staying if we try to get the spouse visa.

Oh another information i would add he holds an irish passport mighy it be different rules than the british one?

Thankyou for taking your time to read and answer.

Does he hike any other passport than an Irish one?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think another one is Brazilian one I guess he has no British one since he's already duel nationality

Okay. He holds an Irish passport and a Brasilian one but NOT a UK passport.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it's correct

Thanks for your patience.

This might solve your problem. If he is Irish and does not have a UK passport then he is an EEA member state national exercising his treaty rights within the UK.

If you marry then you can apply for a family permit as a Non-EEA spouse of an EEA national. You will need to apply for it before your current visa expires:-

Once you have the family permit you will be eligible to apply to the UKBA for a residence card which confirms your right of residence in the UK on the basis of your marriage:-

It will either take the form of an endorsement in your passport or as a separate immigration status documents confirming your right to reside here for 5 years.

At the end of this time you will be able to apply for a Permanent Residence here if you wish provided that you have not spent significant time outside the UK.

There is no salary threshold for an application of this type because it is based on EEA rights, not like a spouse visa. However, you must demonstrate that he is exercising treaty rights in the Uk either by working or by being self-sufficient. If you do this then you will get your family permit and then residence card.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi that's really great information from you
some last questions I would add:
my visa probably will expired on 28 of may , if I have to do these next month in April get married, apply for eea right after the register of marrisge (i dont think we can even make a wedding this soon) that time frame too suspectious to the home office?
he is still unemployed however he is in touch with job seeker and report them by sending a lots of cvs is this a type of exercising the treaty right?
also the length of our relationship is only half year would they reject us by using marriage of convenience although we truly in love ?

thanks !

You will have to produce evidence (eg. statements, photos, correspondence, etc) to show that the relatinoship is genuine. They will be suspicious because of the short length of relationship but if you do this then you should be okay.

Is he claiming benefits?

Please remember to rate my answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he just claimed a clothing benefit from job seeker for his job interview will it be a big problem? and earlier a free English course to improve his English his English is good enough to talk about daily topic however it might not be enough in a professional area that's why he take this course that job seeker provide

I think that you might still be okay. In any event you should get the application in anyway. It will take some time to determine so he will have some extra time to get a job.

Please rate my answer.

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you