How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What documents are required for a UK spousal visa? (Once someone

This answer was rated:

What documents are required for a UK spousal visa? (Once someone is married to an EU national and has a marriage certificate)

Also, are there different types of spousal visas? (One which permits Indefinite Leave to Remain and one which allows you to stay in the UK until the EU ID card is issued by husband's country?) Thanks
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

Could you clarify the following:

What is the nationality of the person the applicant married?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi there. Sure. Will do.


Kind regards

Thank you for your reply.


What nationality is the applicant?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Non EU. Stateless citizen, born and living in a Middle Eastern state, the name of which I was instructed not to publicly disclose. Thanks

Thank you for your reply.

If you are a non EU citizen then the documentary evidence you need to submit would be the following:

1. Evidence of your subsisting relationship with your spouse, ie photographs, letters, emails, skype conversation ( which you have communicated both before and after your marriage)
2. You marriage certificate
3. Photographs of you and your sponsor before/during/after marriage
4. Evidence of your spouse exercising treaty rights in the UK ie he must be Studying, working or self sufficient ie has loads of savings
5. You spouse's passport
6. Evidence that he has adequate accommodate when you arrive to the UK ie Tenancy agreement in which the landlord has provided a letter stating he has no objection to you also residing in the property or if property is own, then a house report from a solicitor/council or and estate agent
7. Your spouse bank statement for at least 3 months showing that he will be able to maintain you upon your arrival.

Regarding different types of residency documentation, in your case you will be applying under the EEA regulations and your spouse is an EU national, you will therefore initially be give a visa for 6 months and thereafter when you are in the UK you will need to submit an application for a EEA family permit which will be granted for 5 years and provided your husband is still exercising treaty rights you will be able to apply for permanent residency/indefinite leave to remain.

You and thereafter apply for a British Passport.

To apply for your visa you would need to use the following forms and read the guidance:

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just to finalise my question, what requirements are needed for the initial 6 months spousal visa? Do the two persons involved have to be living together at that point? Or can they find accommodation together within the 6 months period given, please? Because as it stands, the two persons are not officially living together.


Thank you for your reply.

Yes that is possible, but the sponsor will need to provide evidence of financial stability which will enable them to buy or rent larger premises upon the applicant's arrival to the uk and this must be stated in the covering letter.

I hope this clarifies the matter.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your response.

I'm a bit puzzled. Do you mean 'yes' that the two persons can look for a place after the non EU spouse arrives in the UK? Or will the EU sponsor currently residing in the UK need to find an accommodation before the non EU spouse arrive in the UK, please?

Can the sponsor's financial stability be represented through a series of bank statements etc? Thanks

And what do you mean by the covering letter? Is that a requirement for the 6 months spousal visa or for the 5 year spousal visa, please?

Finally, is there a specific name for the '6 months spousal visa'? On the UKBA site, or does it come under the same category for the 'Spousal visas'? Thank you

Thank you for your reply.

1. Yes they can look for a place after provided they show enough funds and state this in the covering letter.

2. Yes bank statements going back 3 months will be sufficient to show financial stability.

3. Covering letter is the letter which will accompany the application, it is just a letter from the applicant that goes into why they are applying and listing the Documentation you submit with the application.

4. No it is called an eea family permit, the link and forms are in my previous answer.

I hope this clarifies the matter.
Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you