How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi I am on tier 2 visa and currently I am made redundant

This answer was rated:

I am on tier 2 visa and currently I am made redundant and the last day of ther contract would be the end of april, would you please tell me how long can i stay after the end of my work contract and if i got another sponsered job can I apply /renew my tier 2 in the uk?

Thanks for your patience.

If you lose your job that is sponsoring you for Tier 2 purposes then your right to remain in the UK the UK is curtailed.

However, generally if you are able to find a job and submit the application within 28 days of your old job finishing then the UKBA will accept the application and allow you to transfer your Certificate of Sponsorship so that you can remain in the UK on your Tier 2 visa without it affecting you.

You need to get looking for a new job straightaway and as soon as it looks like they might offer you it start preparing your covering letter for the transfer of sponsorship to explain that you have found the job as soon as possible and that you did not intend to breach the immigration rules.

If you find a new job quickly you will be fine

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi i have further question to ask according to your answer,

so within 28 days to submit an application, does it mean, for example, if my last contract date of my current sponsor is on 1st of may, i submit the application on 28th of may, I can still be able to stay in uk for how long before they give me the answer of the new application or I have to sort out everything and get my new permit within 28 days after my contract end? I just want to make it clear about the day it's pretty important to me to buy more time.

also, if I got a new sponsor before my current company notices the UKBA , for example on 15 of april,
will the new work permit application process before/after the notice will be different?

thank you very much


Yes, it means that you should submit the application by 28th May if you leave your job on 1st May.

If you submit your application then your status will be maintained (ie. the same) until they either approve or reject it.

The 28 day period should run from when you actually leave your job.

Please remember to rate my answer.