How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 65yrs old, and hold a S.A.Passport. Mm Grandparents were

This answer was rated:

I am 65yrs old, and hold a S.A.Passport. Mm Grandparents were born in the UK and my mother by Colonial birth in India. Due to the inconvenience and expense of obtaining Visas, to enter the UK and EU counntries , I was wondering If I can obtain a British Passport for travel purposes ONLY. I was born in Zimbabwe

Thanks for your patience.

I assume that your father was not British. Please advise if he was and I may revise my answer.

UK citizenship is only permitted to descend one generation to persons born outside the UK.

So, when your mother was born outside of the UK but to British Parents she was entitled to UK citizenship because it is permitted to descend one generation. This means that she had “UK citizenship by descent”.

Because you were then also born outside the UK your mother’s citizenship is not permitted to descend a further generation to you I’m afraid. On this basis you would not be eligible for UK citizenship I am very sorry to say.

You would be eligible for an UK ancestry visa if you wish to come to the UK to work and settle permanently, but this is not available for visit purposes only:-

If you visit the UK frequently then you should consider apply for a multi-entry visitor’s visa over a 1, 2, 5 or 10 year duration. This would allow you to come to the UK as often as you like without applying for further visas provided that you do not spend more than 6 months in any 12 month period within the UK.

Sorry I could not have better news for you.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions