How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I went to England to visit my girlfriend for a period of 4

Customer Question

I went to England to visit my girlfriend for a period of 4 months and before I could enter, I was detained and interrogated by immigration officers,detained for 10 hours asking about my personal life, my past relationships, my job, my children. They also questioned my girlfriend for a whole hour on the phone. I was photographed, fingerprinted and denied entry to England and escorted to the plane and then shipped back to the united states. I never felt so embarrassed and humiliated. My girlfriend was in tears. Why was I detained and locked up with other 3rd world people when I'm an American citizen? I have no criminal record and I have traveled often to other countries spending far more time in other countries than the 4 months I requested to stay in England. I know the maximum I can stay is 6 months. I had a decent place to stay and accommodations (at my girlfriend's) and had enough money to spend. Why was I denied entry?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 4 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

Do you have family in the usa?
Do you work or study?
What strong connections do you have to the us?
Did they supply you with a refusal letter?
What was the basis stated for refusal?
Have you been denied entry to the UK before?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have family in the USA.


I am Employed but took a leave of absence for a maximum of 4 months with guaranteed reinstatement upon my return.


I also supplement my income by selling on ebay.


I have been employed as an Emergency Medical Technician for 20 years but I have switched from company to company due to a bigger salary, so yes I have strong connections to medical emergency management and my country and have no desire to leave my profession


The letter stated that they were not satisfied that I have a significant incentive to return to the US and because I mentioned that I will not seek to take employment or take recourse to public funds in order to support and maintain myself whilst in the United Kingdom.


They mentioned this because of my social and economic circumstances? I have adult daughter who lives on her own and a son who I was denied being the father but still give out of my own pocket without any court order, because I know he's mine. Both from previous relationships. He (the immigration officer) doubted any company would grant me leave for that long. My employer granted me permission just as long as the leave was without pay.


And yes, this was my first visit to Great Britain/UK

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your detailed reply.

I would suggest that the best thing to do at this point would be to reply for a visa. Although you may not have obtained a visa on this first instance as American nationals do not require a visa to enter the UK. The United Kingdom Border Agency require that even if you are a national of a country which do not require you to obtain a visa prior to travel you would need to obtain a visa if they have every been refused entry to the UK.

I understand the anger you must be feeling at this moment in time, but the fact is that unless you are a British citizen you are subject to immigration control regardless of your nationality.

The immigration officers are very strict on whom they allow to enter the UK specially if there is even a hint that they may overstay their visa or they are not satisfied that you have not provided enough evidence of your connection to the US.

What I suggest you do is obtain a letter from your company confirming what you stated regarding leave of absence, in addition to birth certificates for your children in the UK, as well as pictures, letters from family in the US.

You may also want to provide evidence of everything you have mentioned in your reply to back up your claim of returning to the US. Because you will now need to apply for a visa, it gives you the chance to submit all the aforementioned documentation as part of your visa application prior to obtaining a visa to the UK.

I would suggest that you reapply as soon as possible.

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively.

Kind regards

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 4 years ago.
I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively.

Kind regards
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 4 years ago.
As I have answered your question please rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time.

Related UK Immigration Law Questions