How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a overstayer buy a house in the UK?

This answer was rated:

Can a overstayer buy a house in the UK?

Thanks for your patience.

There is no legal restriction on an overstayer without leave to remain in the UK buying a house. If they are a cash buyer then they can still buy the property. A solicitor would still be able to act on their behalf to purchase the property.

However, if they require a mortgage then they will probably not be able to because almost all lenders require that an applicant for a mortgage must have indefinite leave to remain in the UK. There is absolutely no getting around this.

Additionally, owning a house in the UK does not give the overstayer any advantage whatsoever in regularising their stay and getting leave to remain. It makes no difference, except that if they are deported it becomes naturally very difficult to manage or sell the property from abroad.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tom,


Thanks for your reply.

I guess engaging in any business or investing any money into other people’s business might be the same as owning a house i.e. no help for the ILR.


But if I really want to buy a flat or investing money on business, just in order to get some incomes while the ILR is processing, apart from paying cash, will it be any legal problem if I pay by cheques (or bank transfers) from abroad? Does it have to be via a bank in the UK?


Thanks again



I am out of the office now and will be able to answer in about two hours.


It should be okay to pay by cheque outside the of the UK in terms of the monthly repayments of the mortgage, but you would have to prove your identity to the solicitor that you instruct on your behalf to act in your purchase of the property.

Related UK Immigration Law Questions