How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Im presently married to an eea and I was issued 5yrs eea

This answer was rated:

Hi, I'm presently married to an eea and I was issued 5yrs eea permit which will expire In September 2014. My problem is that the relationship has broken down for over a year now, but I'm scared to start divorce proceedings because I know I won't be able to retain residency in the uk as my husband didnt exercise any treaty rights. What I want to know now is if it is possible for me to apply as a parent of a child settled in the UK because I got children that are British for another Man I'm presently dating and he's agreed to support me if need be... what are my chances and is it possible to just switch from being a family member of an eea to parent of a child in the uk. Will be glad if I can get an answer. Thanks. Olu.


Who will have residence of the chidren and who will have contact please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will. The children are actually living with me.


But will the father have contact with the children and be an active part of their upbringing even if you are not in a relationship with him?

What nationality is the father?

Do you work?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes the father has contact and is active. He's British and yes I'm working.


Thanks for your patience.

Assuming that you cannot apply for Retention of your Treaty Rights then you are going to have to apply on the basis of your rights in respect of the child.

In order to do this you will need the father of the child to assist with the application.

The requirements for this are contained here, at Immigration Rule 248A:-

You will have to instruct a solicitor to obtain a Residence order in yoru favour and a contact order in favour of the children’s father. In addition you will have to show that you can support and accomdoate yourself without the need to access public funds.

Applying under this ground is not easy but provided that the father is willing to participate, you get the orders from court and are able to show with documentary evidence that you will not need access to public funds then you will be able to get leave to remain on this basis.

Because of the complicated nature of the application and that if you do not succeed then your right to remain in the UK could be at risk you should really consider instructing a local solicitor to assist you both with the application for the Orders and then to prepare/draft your application and ensure that it is supported with the necessary supporting documentation

Good luck

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions