How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in London for more than 6 years. I would like to apply

This answer was rated:

I live in London for more than 6 years. I would like to apply for british passport. I am bullgarian. Can I apply for naturalisation as a british citizen? or I've got to get this indefinite leave to remain first?

Have you exercise your treaty rights during this time by working in the united kingdom?

Kind regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I've been working all this time and I've been paying my taxes

Customer: replied 4 years ago.



are you still here?


Thanks for your patience.

You need to apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen prior to making an application for a passport. Once naturalised you will be able to obtain a passport.

In order to be eligible for naturalisation you must be free of immigration time restrictions, which in the case of an EEA national like you means that you must hold “Permanent Residence”. Technically, there is no need for you to apply for PR because you should have it automatically (even though you don’t hear from the UKBA about it), please refer to the third from last paragraph on the heading titled “If your parents are citizens of the European Economic Area (EEA)” for confirmation of this.

However I would still advise that you apply for PR formally before you apply for naturalization because it is free to apply for whereas naturalizing has a fee to pay. So, if there are any problems with your PR status then you will not have wasted any money.

You can see how to apply for PR on this page:-

You will need to meet the requirements on the following page in order to be eligible to apply for naturalisation:-
In particular you should note the residential requirement as to any time you have spent out of the country and make sure that you have not spent over the amount stipulated.

You will have to apply by completing the UKBA’s Form AN. Here is the link to the page with the form and guidance notes on completing it and what documents you will need to submit with your application:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you