How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi I have been living in UK since 7 year snow and my wife

This answer was rated:

I have been living in UK since 7 year snow and my wife since 2. We both are Polish natural born and we do not have British passports. We have a two months old daughter who was born in Northern Ireland. How can we apply for a British passport for her?
What is the procedure to get one?
Thank you
Thanks for your patience.

Your child will be a UK citizen if at the date of the child’s birth either you or the child's other parent are “legally settled” in the UK.

In the case of EEA citizens they are regarded as being legally settled once you have been in the UK for 5 years exercising your treaty rights. So, if either you or the other parent of the child have been here exercising his treaty rights for 5 years or more (which you have) then the child will be a UK citizen.

Therefore, the child is entitled to apply for a UK passport because they are automatically a UK citizen.

Please find confirmation on the following link:-
Please refer to the third from last paragraph under the heading entitled “If your parents are citizens of the European Economic Area (EEA)”

Although there is technically no requirement to apply for Permanent Residence, you may consider apply for it simply to have it acknowledge and so make the passport application process a bit easier.

Details on how he can apply here:-

You can apply for a UK passport for the child here:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on your position. Please remember to rate my answer, if you are satisfied.

Kind regards,


Related UK Immigration Law Questions