How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Morning All, My girlfirend is looking at moving over here

This answer was rated:

Morning All,

My girlfirend is looking at moving over here in the UK shortly, she has been told she has to get a visitors Visa first find a job then reapply for a work visa. Is this correct or is she getting herself confused?

Many Thanks

Thanks for your question.

I assume that your girlfriend is not a european economic area member state national and therefore has no automatic right to come to the u.k to work.

If this is the case then obviously she has to apply for a work visa unless you have lives together for 2 years so that she can apply for an unmarried partners visa.

Please let me know if you are willing to marry her and I may revise my advice.

If she were to come to the u k on a visitors visa she would not be able to work while state park visitor must leave the united kingdom before the visa expires. This is taken to mean that visitors are not permitted to switch to other visa categories ralph here in the u k.

She would have to leave the country and applies from her home country for it to have a chance of being approved.

If this is useful please kindly click accept and rate my answer as okay service or above. If you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your questions.

Kind regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tom,


She is croatian and planning on living together in the UK, I was many moons ago going to marry her not for Visa reasons but as we had been together for a few years.


She is better off just applying for a non-skilled work visa before coming over to England?


So far happy with your answers as this confirms what i believe already


Many Thanks



Hi Gary

There is no such thing as a non skilled work visa.

The easiest work visa to apply 4 is a tier 2 sponsored skilled worker visa. For this she must obtain a job offer from a employer who is like to sponsor to 2 employees. It is quite difficult because they have to show that there is a job that no other person in the resident labour force can do.

It would probably be easier to marry her and apply for a spouse visa. If you wish to let me know whether she is eligible to do this please state your annual income and I shall advise server in 1 hour when I arrive at the office.
Please remember to rate my answer

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would be willing to do this never realised there was a annual income limit, as i am a contractor (self employed)

Take min wage £250 a week then take remain after tax so roughly 55-60k


Hope this helps


I will answer after 9.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many Thanks speak shortly

Hi Gary,

If the plan is to settle in England once you are married then she will need to apply for settlement.

There are two ways of doing it. It is not absolutely necessary for you to go there to marry in order to get her a visa to come here. You can apply for a fiance visa so that she can come here specifically for the purpose of marrying. Once married you would then have to apply for a spouses visa (settlement – Further Leave To Remain). Two applications, two application fees.

Alternatively, You can either marry in the her home country and then apply directly for a spouses visa at the UK embassy there; Once application, one application fee.

There is a slightly larger amount of documents to submit for a fiancé visa because you have to show that you intend to marry once she arrive here.

The eligibility criteria is largely similar for both applications.The advantage is that if your fiance visa is refused then you are not married. If you marry and you spouses visa application is refused initially and then on appeal then you are stuck being married but in different countries.

Here is the criteria you would need to fulfill for a fiance visa, as I say the criteria is largely the same for a spouses visa. If you meet this you will almost certainly not be refused a spouses visa:-

• You plan to marry within 6 months of her arriving here
• You plan to live permanently together here
• You have met each other
• You can support each other without the need for public funds
• You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds
• Meet the financial requirement (salary threshold):
& here:

You have to produce to the UKBA documentation that proves the above. This would be some of the following:-
• If you are to apply for a fiancé visa you will have to show evidence of your intention to marry, so things like purchase of a ring, evidence of having met (photos correspondence etc), booking of a wedding venue, evidence of invites etc.
• Bank statements from both you and your fiance going back 6 months showing the income/capital you have available
• Payslips (6 month of) and a letter from your employer stating that you have a permanent job, contract of employment
• Documentary evidence of any other assets you hold (eg. Shares, evidence of ISAs or bonds)
• Marriage certificate, Birth Certificate, passport
• Evidence of correspondence between you and your fiance showing that the relationship is credible and genuine (eg. Emails, letters, evidence of previous trips, photos showing you together, phone records
• Evidence of the accommodation where you will live (ie. land registry officials copies of the property that you own, mortgage documentation, copy tenancy agreement if you rent, council tax statements, house report by a solicitor, letter from landlord confirm he is happy to give you a further tenancy agreement

• You should also include job adverts showing jobs available that you could do when you come here and show, via your CV, that you have the qualifications and work experience that you would be a viable candidate for those roles
Further information here:-

She will also have to pass an Englsh Language test:-

The application will have to be supported by evidence proving the above eligibility criteria. They key to a successful application is producing well-collated documentary evidence for the above criteria. You will also have to produce statements made by both of you explaining and supporting how you meet the eligibility criteria.

You will need to apply for fiance/spouses visa using form VAF4 which is available for download from the UKBA website

Generally, I’ve found that persons considering applying for fiancé/spouse visa are surprised by the documentary requirements and complicated nature of the application preparation but that it’s easier than finding a job first and then applying for a Tier 2 sponsored skilled worker visa.

You should consider instructing a immigration solicitor based here in the UK to prepare an application for her (whichever way you decide to do it). You can find local solicitors via:-
It should cost around £1000-1500+ VAT. It will save you money in the long run, in all probability.

Please remember to rate my answer Gary.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you