How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Sir/Madam can you please advise me on the following

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir/Madam

can you please advise me on the following points:

1. I would like to apply for my husband's visa to the UK, he is a Pakistani citizen and i am British born. we got married last year September but have not yet applied for his visa. i am currently working but my earnings are below the requirement of £18,600.00, I am currently earing 18,000.00 a year. i have savings of £1000.00 for less than a month. Can you please advise me if i still meet the requirements.

2. can you also advise me on what documents will i require and will i need them to be stamped and counter signed by a solicitor?

3. do i need a supporting letter and what information do i need to put in this letter?

Thank you for all your help, i look forwrad to hearing from you.

Thanks for your patience.

I’m very sorry but at the present time you do not appear to meet the financial requirement.

The problem is that although you are only just slightly under the threshold the savings that you have are not permitted to count towards the threshold. The reason that they are not permitted to count is because you are only permit to use a portion of savings that are above £16, 000.00. So, if you have savings of under £16, 000.00 then none of it is permitted to count. You will see that this is confirmed from the following link:-
Please refer specifically to section 7 of the above guidance on the financial requirement.

If you have any other form of income (eg. Pension, shares etc) then please do advise me of these and I will see if it alters my advice.

My advice would be to perhaps consider getting a part-time job which pays an amount which is required to take you above the salary threshold. Once you have worked here for 6 months then you can county the amount to take you over the threshold.

In the meantime you could prepare your application.

You have to produce to the UKBA documentation that proves the above. This would be some of the following:-
• Bank statements from both you and your spouse going back 6 months showing the income/capital you have available
• Payslips (6 month of) and a letter from your employer stating that you have a permanent job, contract of employment
• Documentary evidence of any other assets you hold (eg. Shares, evidence of ISAs or bonds)
• Marriage certificate, Birth Certificate, passport
• Evidence of correspondence between you and your spouse showing that the relationship is credible and genuine (eg. Emails, letters, evidence of previous trips, photos showing you together, phone records
• Evidence of the accommodation where you will live or that you can afford to accommodate yourselves once here.

The list is not exhaustive, there may be others dependning on your actua circumstances.

You should include all originals and make sure you keep copies. There is technically no requiremne to use a solicitor for this.

I am sorry that I could not have better news for you.

I have to go offline for half an hour now. If you have further follow-ups I will be able to reply upon return.
Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. I am currently trying to get a pay increase from my employer would i still need to wait for 6 months?

How is it possible to have savings of £16,000.00 if you earn below that.

I look forward to your reply

On the point on savings accrual, clearly it's very, very difficult. Eventually the whole rule will be found illegal when it is challenged in the European Supreme Court but it's going to take some time.

If you were able to get an increase to your current salary then it raise a question. You would clearly have been employed for longer than 6 months but not at the appropriate salary level. There is no guidance on this point but I would be fairly confident that you woudl be able to apply once you had received the increased salary for a couple of months.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Thomas


I would like to inform you that your picture is being used on a security company website, they are using your picture to represent their business development manager Shawn. please see link below to direct you to the website.


kind regards



Hi Uzma,

Thank you, it's actually a stock photo!

Thanks anyway though..


Related UK Immigration Law Questions