How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Pakistani national who came to uk in 2002 on a tourist visa.

This answer was rated:

Pakistani national who came to uk in 2002 on a tourist visa. He overstayed until now. In october 2012 he was detained by UKBA but released as his british girlfriend was pregnant at the time (suffered a miscarriage). In December 2012, he had a hearing, he applied to stay in uk under human rights based on the fact that his girlfriend is british.
The judge rejected him saying that the relationship was not convincing on 31 december 2012. What are the changes of him getting a visa and how to do it?

How long has he been living together with his girlfriend please and are they still living together?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They met in may 2012, they still live together. She lives on benefits and he works illegally


Why did the judge consider that the relationship was not convincing?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Because when they met the lady was 4 months pregant by somebody else. She gave birth on 12 august 2012. The baby was taken by social services as she was in an abusive relationship. She did not attend the hearing and the evidence e.g. photos provided were not enough. There was no witness statement neither

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Because they met when she was 5 months pregnant by somebody else. She gave birth in August 2012. Baby was taken into care as she was in an abusive relationship before.


Thanks for your patience.

If the application was made on the basis that he should be regarded as an unmarried partner and it was rejected because the judge – acting on the evidence produced for the relationship – was not convinced that the relationship was genuine then the best way forward would be to make a further application.

The application must be supported by as much documentary evidence as possible which substantiates the fact that they have lived together for in excess of two years. This can be in the form of correspondence between them both, utility bills listed both of them, any other documentary evidence which shows that he has lived there (council tax, bank statements etc) and they should both execute witness statements.

Their witness statements should chart the start of their relationship and go on to advise the timeline of their relationship. In particular it would state when they started living together and it would also refer to the supporting evidence that has been collected. The supporting evidence would be attached to the statements as Exhibits.

The girlfriend must also be available to give evidence if the application is rejected and they are forced to appeal. If she is a convincing and credible witness at appeal then he still stands a reasonable chance of getting further leave to remain on this basis because it seems to be an evidential problem in that not enough evidence was submitted at the time of the appeal.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

they have been together since may 2012 so they can't prove that they have been in a relationship for 2 years. Would the person stand a greater chance if they get married?


If they have only been together since May 2012 then he does not have a very good change of getting leave to remain as an unmarried partner.

If they marry then they would NOT have to prove that they have lived together for two years, but they woudl still have to prove that they are a genuine married couple and that the marriage is credible.

This means getting the evidence that they do have and referred to above, documenting their marriage and also executing witness statements with her being fully available to give evidence on appeal.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is there any other alternative apart from marriage?


If he does not have a child then I cannot see that there is.

Please rate my answer.

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions