How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In October of 2010 I was refused entry into the UK for a 2

This answer was rated:

In October of 2010 I was refused entry into the UK for a 2 week visit.
The reason was the border agent didn't like the answer to the questions she asked.

I did not know a physical address of the place where I was staying (booked online and only knew the general area)
I didn't have sufficient cash on hand upon arrival. (money in the bank could not be proven)
I was traveling alone.

I am planning a trip in April of this year. Will me being rejected in the past cause to refuse me entry upon arrival even though none of these things will be the case this time?


I was traveling from the US to UK


What nationality are you please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm a natural born US Citizen.


Thanks for your patience.

I assume that you originally attempted to enter the UK under the visa waiver program. The right to enter in this way is discretionary, which means that the entry clearance officiers in the UK can refuse entry if they suspect that a breach of the immigration rules may occur.

If you were short of funds and not able to verify where you were going to stay then this will be reason why they refused entry; because they though that you might breach the immigration rules in the UK.

They will now know about the refusal.

This does not mean you won’t be able to come to the UK again, however, I would advise that you apply for a visitor’s visa before you actually travel to the UK. They will be much less strict with you on entry if you have already obtained the visa prior to travel.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I apply for the visa and my application for a short term visitors visa is denied will I automatically be refused entry into the country or could I still talk to an agent when I land with all the proper proof etc?


I was nervous at the time and have since got a lot better at speaking with people than I was 2 years ago. I'm just wondering if there would be a case where I would be better off talking to an agent than I would be applying for a visa and being rejected.


Thank you.

I will answer at 9

No, forget about agents. The Entry Clearance Officers when you arrive in the UK are the ones that will either permit or refuse your entry in to the UK.

If you travel to the UK without applying for a visa beforehand then your chances of entry are consdierably reduced because of the previous refusal.

If you apply to the UK for a visa and get approved then your chances of entry are also certain. You can instruct a UK solicitor practising in the UK to preapre your applicaiton for your if you wish, even though you are based in the US. They will draft the application and also collate and advise you on all the relevant supporting documentation that you need to submit.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you