How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I have a question regarding permanent residency in UK

This answer was rated:

Hello, I have a question regarding permanent residency in UK for EU citizens. What is it and what is the difference to temporary residency status?
I'm Polish and I have been living in UK since 7 years now, working and paying taxes. Does it mean I am a permanent resident, or still temporary? Do I need to apply for any document which confirms my status?
I'm asking according to future perhaps-to-be referendum about Brittains leaving or staying in EU - what would happen with all EU citizens (Polish, Chech, Hungarian, French, German, Portugeese, etc.?) - should they leave the country then?

Have you applied for permanent residence?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't know even should I, or what is it?


Thanks for your patience.

You are an EEA national, which means that you are free to remain in the UK provided that you exercise your treaty rights here either by working, studying or otherwise being self-sufficient.

Permanent Residence is what an EEA national gets once they have been here for a period of time exercising their treaty rights. It means that you can stay here indefinitely.

Since May 2006 an EEA national gets this automatically after they have been exercising treaty rights for a period of five years. Please refer to the following passage for confirmation:-
“Since 30 April 2006, EEA citizens are automatically considered free of a time limit under the Immigration Rules after they have exercised their Treaty rights for any continuous 5-year period. After 5 years, they automatically receive permanent residence status. They no longer need to apply for indefinite leave to remain.”

You will see that this is contained on the following UKBA webpage under the heading “If your parents are citizens of the European Economic Area (EEA)“.

Technically you have this status automatically and there is no requirement to actually apply formally for it. However you can apply for confirmation of Permanent Residence simply to give yourself peace of mind. Guidance on how you can do this is contained on the following page:-

You will need to submit UKBA Form EEA3 with the appropriate supporting documents to apply for this and they are available on the above page.

Once you have permanent residence you are not likely to be affected by the referendum.
Once you have held PR for one year you can naturalise as a UK citizen and get a UK passport if you wish. Details here:-
& here:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX - is it the same thing as Home Office used to be? I think it was called WRS? I filled it 7 years ago and now I know is not obligatory anymore.

is application for permanent residency free of charge?


The UKBA is basically the same thing as the Home Office, it is the branch of the government which deals with immigration matters.

The application for permanent residence is free of charge so you might as well apply.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you