How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US citizen trying to transfer to my companys UK office.

This answer was rated:

I am a US citizen trying to transfer to my company's UK office. I have been with my company for over 6 years. I had a 2008 DUI conviction. Am I still eligible for a UK visa with that type of criminal background?

What sentence did you receive please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Community service, a fine and 3 years probation.

It was an unfortunate incident. I do have a number of character witnesses who will write letters. I have been volunteering for a youth camp, ages 10-12, for a week in the summer for the last 16 years. I take vacation from work to do it.

I will answer at 9am(an hours time)


Thanks for your patience.

Whilst it is a complication to your application, it is not a complication that necessarily means that you will be rejected but you will have to prepare the application in the right way and ensure that you have the correct supporting documentation.

This is because the offence was more than 5 years ago which means that it would be considered “spent” under the Rehabilitation of Offenders act and it does not also fall foul under Immigration Rule 320(18):-

Therefore you will not be rejected under 320(19).

However, there is also a “catch-all” rejection ground if to admit you would “not be conducive to the public good”. For this reason you should disclose the offences and mitigate it. You can mitigate it by advising of any circumstances which gave rise to the offence, full details with supporting evidence of yoru rehabilitation and also character statements from pesrons of authority who know you and can speak to your rehabilitation and good character.

If you do this I would still be reasonably confident that you will be approved.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you