How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I applied for british natinality in year 2000 but they never

This answer was rated:

I applied for british natinality in year 2000 but they never returned my passports now i need to give a proof to indian high commisioner i need oci visas on my passport

Did you obtain UK citizenship?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, in 2001

So you sent your passports (for your original nationality) with your application for naturalisation.

Did you receive your Certificate of Naturalisation from the UKBA after your application was approved?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes we did recieve the certificates from the UKBA but the indian passports that belonged to my wife and I were not returned. We have documents stating they were lost. The indian high comissioner wants proof that me and my wife are indian national before we can have OCI visas on our passports.


Thanks for your patience.

How frustrating, that must have made you quite angry. If the UKBA lost your passports then they are not now going to be able find them to get them to you.

Frankly, I would focus on the alternative evidence that the high commissioner is prepared to accept. It may be that they are prepared to accept your birth certificates along with a statutory declaration that you swear in front of a solicitor.

The declaration would be prepared by a solicitor to advise on the chronology of your acquisition of indian citizenship (presumably by birth) and then acquisition of UK citizenship and the loss of your passport. You should gather together any other documentary evidence that you can to confirm what you say in your statements (eg. Copies of old passports, travel history, correspondence from UKBA, evidence of application for naturalisaation, birth certificates etc) so that these can be referred to in the Declaration to back up what you are saying.

Explain the situation to the high commissioner in writing and ask if they would be prepared to accept such a statement with supporting evidence in the absence of your passports.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a letter saying home office has lost my documents and it states how ever given the circumstances we are prepared to consider a claim for the reimbursement of any reasonable costs in replacing the documents if we had a birth certificate there would be no need to contact anybody else regarding this matter isit possible you could give me the telephone number off immigration and natinality directorate 3rd floor indian buildings water street liverpool the number on there no longer exsists you think its possible to go and see them with all these evididence

I'm afraid that I'm not sure what you are referring to.

If you are referring to being issued a visa by the indian embassy then certainly doing everything in writing (rather than personally attending) is preferable.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards.

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you