How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am about to send out the residence card application for

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am about to send out the residence card application for my wife + the residence certificate application for myself to Liverpool. Now, we are currently in the situation, that we came here Sept 2012, lived in a temporary shared apartment, from where I conducted my business as self employed photographer!

February 6th we are moving to a new apartment. Should we now rather put down the address of the new apartment on the application forms, and add the new tenancy lease to it (+ statement, "We lived in A so far, moving to B Feb 6th...!")

Alternatively, I was thinking, I could send it out tomorrow, put down the current address (I will forward our mail from the old to the new place anyways) and then send them later a change of address once we actually moved.

My only worry with the first way is, that I have all the supporting documents, bank statements, correspondence, HMRC letters etc. with the old address on it. If I put down a different new address now on the form, that might provoke them into requesting more documents, from the new address, and I want to avoid slowing down the process that way.

What might be the better strategy here1?

Will your new address effectively be your place of business once your move there?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, everything will be moved there, business included!


Thanks for your patience.

The key is to be honest. If at the date of application your residence and place of business is the flat that you are currently in then you should use this address.

You should write a detailed and clear covering letter stating that you are going to move address and from X date you should be regarded as having your residence and place of business at the new tenancy address.

Sometimes applicant’s personal circumstances do not fit neatly in to the standard format forms and so it’s necessary to give more detail in the covering letter to the application. This is what you have to do here, I think.

I would still have the post forwarded service in place just in case, as a precaution but provided you are clear in that your wish for them to correspond with you after X date at your new address then they will do so.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, thanks for your advice! I have it all pretty much together now. As to the accountant letter. I met with the guy, and he said he can write a letter for me, stating, that he is my accountant, that I earned X amount of money so far and that I signed up for HMRC / paying class 2 NICs!


However, then he said he would have to send it to Liverpool himself! Is that correct? I was under the impression, that I need to include that letter in the pile of documents I am going to send in myself!!!?


You should probably include a copy of the original that your accountant will send to the united kingdom border agency. He can then send the original under separate cover. Insure that he reference's it with sufficient detail.

Thomas and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How about copies, should I send in copies of all documents as well, so that they don't keep my originals!? For the family permit, they asked for that, for the residence card they didn't!


I guess my question is, did you ever hear that the UKBA decides to keep certain originals for some reason, or do they normally return 100% of the documents!?

I will answer tomorrow morning