How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7618
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 53 years old nigerian national with a professional level

This answer was rated:

I am a 53 years old nigerian national with a professional level and Masters degree education. Married to a university graduate and have four teenage children, I have a net worth of about $1.5m. I am currently working in an Anglo/Dutch oil and gas multination company and currently earn well over $250,000 per annum. Please advise on options an chances open to me if I wish to emmigrate to England.

What nationality is your spouse please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My wife is also a Nigerian

I will answer at 9

Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your patience.

If you are not married/in a relationship with a UK national/foreign national or person with ILR then you would have to switch in to a Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Worker visa or one of the tier 1 working visas.

This means that you would be looking at applying under the Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers Visa provisions. You will have to see if there is a job that you could do in the UK on the shortage occupation list:-
However, if you were to find a job that had a salary greater than £150, 000.00 then it would not need to be on the list.
You would have to then secure a job offer from a UK employer who is or would become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants:-

If your job is not on this list or with a salary greater than £150, 000.00 then this means that you employer would have to apply to become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants and also confirm to the UKBA that they have carried out a the Resident Labour Market Test. This test is effectively to show that their are no resident/eea national in the locality that can perform your role, though this might be difficult if there are other accounts officers who could do the role.

If they are willing to sponsor then you will also have to meet the requisite number of points under the Tier 2 points based system:-

You will see at the top right hand side there is an option to use their calculator to work out how many points you are eligible for.

There is lots of information on Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers visas here:-

The alternatives would to this would be:-

1) Apply for a Tier 1 Entreprenuer visa – you would have to have over £200, 000.00 available to be invested in a UK business which you would then run:-

2) Apply for a Tier 2 investor visa – this is where you simply invest the money, but you need to actually invest £1, 000, 000.00 so I presume that this is not viable.
I would start looking for a job offer for the purpose of a Tier 2 appilclation then instruct a UK immigration solicitor to prepare the application for you.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you