How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is 7 years old now . She was born in the Uk ! I

This answer was rated:

My daughter is 7 years old now . She was born in the Uk ! I am on work permit . Can I apply for stay on that strength ?

What nationality is the child's other parent please?

When will you or the other parent be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We are both Nigerians .and with 3 years to ILR.

Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that you will not be able to apply for UK citizenship for your daughter at the present time.

If she was born in the UK to foreign parents after 1983 then she does not yet have automatic right to UK citizenship.

However, she will eventually be able to apply for citizenship if you stay here.

There are two ways. If she stays in the UK for the first ten years of her life without leaving the UK for more than 90 days in each of the first ten years in that time then she can register as a UK citizen:-
Please see the above link for confirmation of this.

Additionally if you and your husband subsequently obtain ILR then you can register her as a UK citizen once you have ILR. Please refer to the first heading on the following link for confirmation of this:-

So, you will have to wait three years but then you can register her as a UK citizen in two ways.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you