How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am in the UK on an ancestry visa. It expired on the

This answer was rated:


I am in the UK on an ancestry visa. It expired on the 26th October 2012. I lodged an application before this time to apply for an extended ancestry application and recieved a confirmation letter from UKBA that this was being procecced. I recently got into university back home so I have had to cancel the application and request my documents back in order to get home in time. I have received them today. How long can I remain here before being classed as an overstayer as I will re-apply once I reach Australia?


Thanks for your patience.

Basically, it’s not straightforward.

Because you submitted your application before your visa expired you effectively had temporary leave to remain whilst the application was under consideration.

By withdrawing your application you ceased to have leave to remain from the date of withdrawal. However, if you leave within 28 days of the date that you withdrew the application then you should be able to argue when you come to apply from Austrailia that you should not be regarded as an ovestayer because you left within a reasonable time of actually being able to.

You should keep all the correspondence on the matter and keep a short diary recording the chronology of the application, the withdrawal and your return to use as an aide memoire when you come to draft a statement in support of your application from Australia.

If you do this then you should be fine.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX be from the day I applied for the return of my documents which was the 15th January or from when I recieved the documents today 22nd January. They do say not to book anything as it could take up to 20 working days to recieve the documents back.


To be safe I would work to 28 days from the date they would have received your letter of withdrawal. So, if you sent it by normal post then it would be 28 days after the second day that you sent the letter.

You shoudl certainly leave no later 28 days after 22nd January.

Pleas remember to rate my answer.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on your position. Please remember to rate my answer, if you are satisfied.

Kind regards,