How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

RLP does it affect indefinite leave to remain in uk , i want

This answer was rated:

RLP(civil recorevey letter) does it affect in
indefinite leave to remain in uk , i want to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the uk ?
Do I need to declear I have civil recovery letter or not?

Can I have some further details of the best please..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I got married with a english guy last year and we are living together now,i'm software engineering and i'm doing programming.

last April i went out for shopping and i bought lots of stuffs then i went to the primark shop and i choose 3 items and i paid on the till when i wanted to pass the door security stopped me and took me to the office and they searched me and they told me you took an earring and didnt pay it, on that moment i found out i choose an earring and i put in my basket but at the end of the day i forgot to pay that item which was 3£ .

I tried to explain for them i dont need to steal this earring and i just forgot to pay but they didnt lesson to me at all,

There was no police involved ...and i just wrote my name, address and phone number for the store manager...... and i didnt fill any form relating to immigration.

I have received a letter from RLP(civil recovery specialists since) they charged me for £80 and straightway i paid it ,because i wasn't looking for a trouble.

now i want to apply for my indefinite leave to remain in the uk but at i dont know how to answer in these 2 questions in the indefinite leave to remain in the uk :


9.1. have you or any dependants who are applying with you been convicted of any criminal offence in the UK or any other country?

Yes - go to question9.2

No - go to question 9.3

9.3. do you or any dependants who are applying
with you have any civil judgments against you or
any civil penalty under the UK Immigration Acts?
Yes go to 9.4
No go to 9.5

thanks alot


I will be able to answer in 1 hour.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you very much

No problem.

Thanks for your patience.

If you have not been convicted of any crime then you can tick “No” to 9.1.

As to 9.1 then you need to find out if you they sued you in court. Really, if you listed your address correctly then you would know because you would have received the court claim papers in the post and would have been asked if you want to defend.

Look back over your correspondence with the claim company. If the correspondence is a letter before action which states that they will issue proceedings against you if you do not pay the fine then (if you did pay the fine) they will not have sued you in county court and so you can answer “No” to question 9.2.

If it turns out that they did issue a claim and obtained judgement against you then you would have to say “Yes” here and then write and execute a statutory declaration explaining the mitigating circumstances of what happened. If this is the only incident then you should still be successful in obtaining ILR.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you