How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife is British but i have got my indefinite to remain as

This answer was rated:

My wife is British but i have got my indefinite to remain as eight months were are separate now i have gf can i come a British citizen.

when did you first enter united kingdom?

Was this on a spouse visa?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes was on spouse visa is five years now

Thanks for your question.

If you wish to obtain a british passport then you must first obtaining naturalization as the united kingdom citizen

If you are divorce at the date you apply for naturalization then you must have been in the united kingdom for a period of 5 years immediately before applying.

If you are not divorced at the date you apply for naturalisation then you need only have been in the united kingdom for a period of 3 years before you apply.

You will see from the following link there are requirements to naturalize if you want married to u k citizens:

This link shows the requirements to apply for naturalization if you are not married:

In the case of both applications please note the residential qualifying criteria. This states the maximum amount of time within either the 3 year or 5 year that you can spend outside of the united kingdom. Most applications which are rejected are rejected because people do not meet this criteria so you should check.

You will see from the next link that u k b a application form for naturalisation is available for download:

If this is useful please kindly accept and rate my answer as okay service or above. If you do not then I do not receive any credit from time taken to answer your question.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i still married to my ex wife that is not a problem for me because are her i have got the indefinite to remain in UK because Iam taking my girl friend next month for holiday to my country.

If you have been in the united kingdom legally for 5 years then it does not really matter if you are married to your wife or not because you are eligible to apply either way.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much i have only scared because i have separate to her after i got my indefinite to remain

If the marriage was genuine and credible and the fact you have separated will not matter. Indefinite leave to remain is only revoked in circumstances where the united kingdom border agency has proved that the marriage was a fraud.

There would also be a hearing at which you would defend.

However if it has been some time since you obtained indefinite leave to remain then they are not like to attempt to revoke it.

Rate my answer now please.

Kind regards
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is more that one year now till i have got my indefinite to remain now and were as break up nearly eight months now Iam looking after my holiday to go for the British citizen
thank u so much for your help tom.
You're welcome..