How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello Soon my 2 year settlement visa will be expired, and

This answer was rated:

Soon my 2 year settlement visa will be expired, and I need to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, what should I do? I'm already past a citizenship test. My husband is British Sitizen and I'm from Kazakhstan. We are living here around 2 years, but we leave together arround 6 years in a total (4 years overseas).

Thanks for your patience.

You either have to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain OR for simple Further Leave to Remain (if you don’t meet the criteria for ILR). You have to make whichever application you choose to make before you visa expires.

Here is the link to the UKBA webpage on apply for ILR if you are the spouse of a UK national:-

You will note that it says that the requirement is five years in the UK. This is because the rules changed in July 2012. However, if you were granted leave to remain in the UK before this time then you can apply under the basis of a 2 year stay because the old rules still apply. Confrimation here:-

Therefore if you meet the requirements contained on the first link above then you should apply for ILR.

If you do not yet meet those requirements then you should apply for simply Further Leave to Remain by submitting form FLR(M) to the UKBA

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you