How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi,I like to ask about British Citizen for my son.I living

This answer was rated:

I like to ask about British Citizen for my son.
I living in UK since 1999. my son born in poland in 1997 so he was 2 years old when he come to london.
since 1999 he never left this country, only for holidays.
I like to ask witch application i should fill.
I think is form MN1

Have you or he obtained permanent residence by applying to the ukba?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When we come to Uk in 1999 we had business visa for three years than 2004 Poland join to EU and visa was not necessary.
But we never apply for permanent residential in uk.

What nationality are you and what nationality is the child's father please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We are polish. Father mum and son has polish passport for present time.

Thanks for your patience.

Your child does not have an automatic right to register as a UK citizen at the present time, therefore an application using form MN1 is not appropriate. This is because they have not been born in the UK and not spent the first ten years of their life here. You were also not settled in the UK at the time of their birth so this is a further reason why you cannot make an application to register right now.

However, you yourself should apply for Permanent Residence in the UK so that you are free from immigration time restrictions (effectively indefinite leave to remain by another name):-

The child should be included in your application.

Once you have both held PR for 12 months you can apply to naturalise as UK citizens provided that you met the criteria on the following page:0

Information on how to apply for naturalisation here:-

Once naturalised, you can both apply for UK passports.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you