How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

UK citizenship for my 2 kids

This answer was rated:

I'm French, The mother of my 2 daughters is a British but we all live in France and the 2 daughters are born in France and have a French Passport. How can I get them a UK Passport without losing the french one?

The Mother and I are not married but live together


Thanks for your question.

Where and when was the mother born?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She was born in the UK, Halifax, Yorkshire

in 1972


Thanks for your reply.

Your daughters will be able to apply for british citizenship.

This is because u k citizenship is permitted to descend one generation to children of british parents who were born outside the united kingdom like your daughters. This is called citizenship by descent.

It is the same as full citizenship except that your children will not be able to pass their citizenship on to such of their own children who are born outside the united kingdom.

Provided that you can prove birth place and date of birth of their mother and the children's dates for birth themselves they will be able to apply straight away for a british passport.

If this is useful please kindly click accept and rate my answer as okay service or above. If you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your questions.

Kind regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your service,

would you advise somebody for doing these processes?

(as the mother and myself are paperwork handicapped...)


It's simply applying for a passport. It's no more complicated than applying for any other passport. I would not usually advise someone to instruct a solicitor to prepare the application but if it's not something that you believe you can do with a solicitor will certainly do it on your behalf.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards.

Thomas and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sir, I don't want to use too much of your time and of course I will give you the best rate but i have 1 more detail to add:


me, the mother and the 2 kids will be HK residents from next june, would it gives my daughter a "full" passport (also for next generations) as it is from (ex) common wealth countries ?


No, I am afraid it would not make a difference. The determining criteria where and when a person was born. Children will be able to pass the u k citizenship on to their children if they are born in the united kingdom. If they are born outside united kingdom then I will be able to register them as british hits after they are born they move to the u k criteria of time.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards.