How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister has married in the UK and is a resident in UK on

This answer was rated:

My sister has married in the UK and is a resident in UK on married to a UK passport holder with an indian passport. Now she would like to surrender her Indian passport and aplly for a British passport as She has lved there for last 15 plus years. What are the requirements from her from related departments in India.

What nationality is your sister please?

Does she hold Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My sister vanessa has an indian passport and lives , married in the uk.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Indian nationality and can reside in the UK indefinitely. Her actual leave is based on job requirements performed there.



Joe Vaz


So she has "indefinite leave to remain" stamped in her passport, correct?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Actually i do not know for sure if it is a truth that she holds Indian passport or British Passport and due to some family property issues would like to find out if her claim is correct.

Her claim is she has Indian passport. To my knowledge she cannot hold property in India and have British passport.




Joe Vaz

Drafting you answer. Now. 5 mins.


Thanks for your patience.

She needs to check her passport to confirm that he has been given indefinite leave to remain in the UK. If she has been here for 15 years then I would be extremely surprised if she has not got it, in any event she should be able to apply for it if she hasn’t actually got it yet.

Assuming that she does have ILR then she will need to naturalise in order to get a UK passport by becoming a UK citizen.

You will see from the following link that she can naturalise if she meets the eligibility criteria for spouses of UK nationals:-

She must also ensure that she meets the residential requirements, so you should check under that heading to confirm that in the past three years she has not breached the limits on the amount of time outside UK a person is allowed.

Provided she meets this criteria then she can apply to naturalise once she has passed the Knowledge of Life in the UK test. Details of the test and how she can apply to naturalise are contained on the following page:-

If she is any doubt about whether she already has indefinite leave to remain then the best advice I can give is to have a consultation with a local immigration solicitor, rather than to contact the UKBA and potentially tip them off.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

FAO Tom only


Thanks Tom the link is quite comprehensive. Specifically does one need father's birth and death certificate for the uk immigration documentation?

ie in this case my sister requesting naturalization basis marriage to uk citizen and living in uk for past 16-18 years


Yes, ideally she should be able to give our fathers birth certificate and death certificates if he has passed away. However you may be able to get away with not submitting this if you do not have it because she will have her own birth certificate and also have her birth certificates to show a nationality.
Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions