How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an English citizen with three children all of whom have

This answer was rated:

I am an English citizen with three children all of whom have French passports. We are visiting the UK for a week and one of the children's passports has expired. I have requested a replacement but it will not be ready for 10 days. What are our chances of getting over the border at Calais/Dover with the old passport?

Are you British by birthhaving been born in the u k british parents?

Do you have birth certificates for you and each of the children?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes to the first question. I was born in Ipswich and both my parents were British


Yes, I think I can find a birth certificate for each of the children (2 out of 3 have valid French passports and I have the receipt showing I have applied for the third).


I may be able to find my own birth certificate (short version), but that is not so sure!




How old is the child that is awaiting their passport please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He is 5 years old (born September 2007)


Thanks for your question.

A person's right to enter a country depends and derived from the citizenship. A passport is simply proof of the citizenship, citizenship itself does not arrive before from a passport

So, technically the right to enter a country derived from that person's citizenship and not from the passport itself which is simply used as proof.

It is at the discretion of the customs officials. I how to dress that you take the birth certificates football of the children and in particular the child waiting a passport as well as the old passport and birth certificate for you. You should also take evidence of the mothers citizenship if this is where the french citizenship derives from. Also take the receipt for the passport application that you have made and is outstanding.

Explain what has happened when you attempt to enter the u k and the officials will probably take your documentation to examine simply to confirm that your child has french citizenship and technically eligible do u k citizenship as well.

Unless they are particularly draconian I would expect them to grant your daughter entry to the u k, but it is still at the discretion of the officials I cannot absolutely guarantee this because it depends on the official examining the documentation themselves.

If this is useful please kindly rate my answer as okay service or above, if you do not then I will not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question
Kind regards

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions