How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi I wanted to know if it was possible for me to apply for

Customer Question

Hi I wanted to know if it was possible for me to apply for citizenship if I changed my name by deed poll to have my stepfather's last name. We are in the process of doing an adult adoption through a lawyer in Germany, and we wanted to know if to go ahead with it or just do the deed poll instead. My stepfather is a British citizen and he lives in Trinidad with my mom and I. I am 22 years old and I am a Trinidadian. We want to move to the UK but I do not fall under any other visa category because we currently do not have the money to pay international student fees, i do not have a degree and I am a dependent over 18 and I no longer get sick often. His friend told him to do an adult adoption then try for citizenship but I want advice from a professional. Is it possible for me to apply for citizenship with just a name change? Will the adoption make a difference?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Changing your name by deed poll will not be enough. The name change is not enough to acquire additional rights.

However you might be able to gain entry as an ADULT DEPENDENT RELATIVE. The guidance from UKBA states the following:

"You can apply for permission to settle permanently here (known as 'indefinite leave to enter or remain') if you are:

aged 18 or over; and a parent, grandparent, brother, sister, son or daughter of a British citizen or person settled in the UK.

Can you apply? You can apply to join a settled person in the UK if:

You need long-term personal care to perform every day tasks, such as washing and cooking. The care you need is not available in the country where you are living, either because it is not available and there is no person in the country where you are living who can reasonably provide it or it is not affordable. Your sponsor can show that he or she is able to provide adequate maintenance, accommodation and care for you without having to rely on public funds. Your sponsor will need to sign a sponsorship undertaking form to confirm that they will be responsible for your care without relying on public funds for a period of at least 5 years.

Applying for a visa You can only apply if you are outside the UK. You must obtain a visa as an adult dependent relative before you travel here.

Depending on the country where you live, you may need to make your application online or using application form VAF4A. "

I hope this helps. Happy to assist further but please remember to rate my answer given thus far.