How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

UK Citizenship for a new born Hi. My girlfriend gonna

This answer was rated:

UK Citizenship for a new born


My girlfriend gonna give birth soon. We are EU/EEA citizens. We both live in the UK for 6 or more years. We did not leave the UK for long time in this period, only for holidays, and we are both working legally since we arrived. I would like to ask for a step by step guide about how can I apply for English citizenship for the baby.
I believe our case falls under section 1(3) of the British Nationality Act 1981.
I believe we need to apply for a "settlement certificate" first. Is that right? If yes how can we do that?
What forms we need to fill out for the settlement certificate?
What forms we need to fill out for the citizenship?

Have either you or the child's mother obtained permanent residence yet?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.



No we haven't!



I will answer in an hour


Thanks for your patience.

Firstly, I am very sorry that it has taken me this long to reply. It was an oversight on my part for which I apologise.

If neither you or the mother have Permanent Residence when the child is born then the child will not automatically qualify for UK citizenship. However if either you or the mother obtain PR after the child is born then you can register the child as a UK citizen at that time.

Please refer to the following link:-
See the heading entitled “If your parents are citizens of the European Economic Area (EEA)
“ and specifically read the second-from-last paragraph under the heading for confirmation of this.

You will also see the link to the page on how to register your child at the end of the paragraph. This is registration under the section of the British Nationality Act that you have identified. Once registered, a passport can be applied for on the child’s behalf.

You or the mother should apply for PR as soon as possible. Here is the link to the UKBA page on how to do this:-

.Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you