Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

UK Citizenship for a new born Hi. My girlfriend gonna

UK Citizenship for a new born

Hi.

My girlfriend gonna give birth soon. We are EU/EEA citizens. We both live in the UK for 6 or more years. We did not leave the UK for long time in this period, only for holidays, and we are both working legally since we arrived. I would like to ask for a step by step guide about how can I apply for English citizenship for the baby.
I believe our case falls under section 1(3) of the British Nationality Act 1981.
I believe we need to apply for a "settlement certificate" first. Is that right? If yes how can we do that?
What forms we need to fill out for the settlement certificate?
What forms we need to fill out for the citizenship?
Thanks

Have either you or the child's mother obtained permanent residence yet?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi.

No we haven't!

Thanks

Thanks

I will answer in an hour

Tom
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

Firstly, I am very sorry that it has taken me this long to reply. It was an oversight on my part for which I apologise.

If neither you or the mother have Permanent Residence when the child is born then the child will not automatically qualify for UK citizenship. However if either you or the mother obtain PR after the child is born then you can register the child as a UK citizen at that time.

Please refer to the following link:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/othernationality/Britishcitizenship/borninukorqualifyingterritory/
See the heading entitled “If your parents are citizens of the European Economic Area (EEA)
“ and specifically read the second-from-last paragraph under the heading for confirmation of this.

You will also see the link to the page on how to register your child at the end of the paragraph. This is registration under the section of the British Nationality Act that you have identified. Once registered, a passport can be applied for on the child’s behalf.

You or the mother should apply for PR as soon as possible. Here is the link to the UKBA page on how to do this:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/documents-eea-nationals/applying/

.Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom