Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

How many days is a Croatian passport holder allowed to stay

How many days is a Croatian passport holder allowed to stay in the UK in total?
Its for a person coming into the UK more than once (approx 5 times) in a calendar year, stays anything between 2 days to 3 weeks, gets a 6 months entry visa every time on entry, doesn't stay in total more than 4 months with all the visits together, always leaves the UK no later than the date stated on entry, then gets a refusal to entry? Is there a legal maximum to stay in the UK in a calendar year?
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

If the person is granted a visa upon port of entry each time to the UK then, as you have stated, this is limited to 6 months.

However, they are still regarded as a visitor and each time they attempt to enter they are judged by the rules for visas for visitors.

To be regarded as a visitor a person must not be in the UK for more than 6 months in any 12 month period. Therefore, the UKBA will check the person’s passport each time they enter. If they have been in the UK for more than 6 months in the past 12 months they will be rejected.

If they have been in the UK for 5 months out of the past 12 months then they may either be rejected (ie. Because it’s close to the 6 month limit) or taken for questioning to ensure that they intend not to remain in the UK beyond the 6 month limit.

Please refer to the following link and specifically VAT1.5 for confirmation:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/guidance/ecg/vat/vat1/#header5

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom