How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello,My Girlfriend applied for a stay in England

This answer was rated:

Hello, My Girlfriend applied for a stay in England. She is from Jamaica. The solicitor we used got the reply back from the Home Office and didn't contact us about it until a month after. This means that she should have gone home around the 26th of November and she wasn't called to a meeting with her solicitor until the 5th of December. We are beside ourselves with worry that the immigration people will turn up at any moment. Can you please help? Many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX


What visa was your girlfriend on?

When did the visa expire?

What would you like to happen in the long term?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm not sure what Visa she was on but it ran out a good while
ago. We have been together for 6 years now and wish to stay together (I'm 50 and she is 48). I would gladly marry her but if I do this now they may think I'm just doing it to help things along. Are we in danger of the immigration turning up at any moment as it is driving me nuts and starting to effect my work as I can think of nothing else.


Please help.



Do you live together and if so for how long?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Tom,


We have been living together for nearly six years and very happily.



Thanks Dave.

Did she apply for leave to remain based on your relationship?

What were the reasons for the refusal please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They are saying there is not enough evidence. I havent even seen the letter she received yet ( I will this morning later on) she has been at her sisters
since Friday night almost in hiding as we feel that if we had got the letter when we should have done we could have acted earlier. We gave all the evidence we could on the form.




Thanks for your patience.

Whilst I cannot completely rule out the possibility that the UKBA may detain here I would say that at this stage so close to the time by which she was afforded to leave the country it is not likely in the immediate short term.

The UKBA are very overstretched at present and so although they would be perfectly in their rights to detain your girlfriend and then issue removal directions (which you would be at liberty to appeal) I would not expect them to do so for at least a couple of weeks.

The best thing you can do is get written acknowldgement from your solicitor about the delay in getting notice of the decision to you, so that this is to hand should the UKBA arrive.

The next thing you need to do is to get your solicitor to highlight the evidential deficiencies upon which the refusal has been based and then rectify these..

I would suggest that the quickest way to get leave to remain in UK would be for her to prepare a further out of country applicant with her solicitor and then leave the UK of her own accord. Technically she would receive a re-entry ban for a year, however your human rights would supercede that so that the application out of country would be approved provided that they accept she has the status of an unmarried partner.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you