How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7618
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been married to my Thai wife for 10 years.We got married

This answer was rated:

I have been married to my Thai wife for 10 years.We got married in the UK.Because of her business she lives mainly in Thailand but would it be possible to get her a British Passport?

Thanks for your patience.

If she does not have a continuous period of residence of in the UK after obtaining leave to remain as the spouse of a UK national then I’m afraid she would not be eligible to naturalise as a UK citizen.

IN order to naturalise in these circumstances she would have first had to obtained a spouse visa. She would then have to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain and would have to have not left the UK for significant periods of time during the period of residence applicable to be eligible to get ILR. Until 9th July 2012 the period required for ILR was only three years, but not it’s 5 years.

Once she has ILR she would be eligible to apply subject to other eligibility criteria.

In the circumstances she would not be eligible if she has not at any point obtained a spouse visa.

If she wishes to do this she needs to apply for settlement (ie. a spouse visa) to come here to live permanently:-

If she can’t do this because she will be based largely in Thailand then she should consider applying for a long term Multi-Entry visitor’s visa (eg. For ten years) so that she can visit for multiple times within the length of the vsia provided that she does not stay for more than 6 months in any 12 month period.

Sorry it could not be better news.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you