How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello,i want to bring my half brother over from Pakistan and

This answer was rated:

Hello,i want to bring my half brother over from Pakistan and get him settlement. He has been in the uk once when he was 2 yrs old and went back to pakistan with his mum after a year(he and and his mum were both born in pakistan). They both have not been back since. My half brother is now over 40 years old. My father was married twice from pakistan due to some problems with him and his second wife he never brought her back. Later i believed they divorced and my half brothers surname also changed to his new father. I don't know how he brought his second wife over eventhough my mum was in the uk as his wife this all happened in the 70s i believe. My father died at 55 and was born in the 1930s he had british citizenship. Me and my brothers and sisters are from the first wife(mum) all born in the UK.
I have 2 questions firstly can he get settlement in the UK alongside his wife and kids from Pakistan? and secondly if he cant how can i bring him over as a visitor,will it be as a family member or general and what is the process in doing this?
If you can give as much info as possible would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Just to clarify, your brother was not born in the UK, correct?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My brother was not born in the UK and he and his mum only have a pakistani passport.




What period of residence in total does your brother have in the UK? Just two years?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My brother only stayed in the UK for about a year or under. He came over with his mum when he was about 1 and half yrs old and went back to pakistan when he was about 2 and half yrs old.


Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that I cannot see that your brother is eligible to apply for permanent settlement here. You will note from the following link that brothers are only eligible to apply if they require care and that there is no-one able to provide it in their country:-

His previous residence in the UK is also of no material benefit here.

Instead, he can apply for a visitor’s visa.

The eligibility criteria for a visitor's visa is as follow, is that you need to show that:-
• You want to visit the UK for no more than six months;
• You intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
• You have enough money to support yourself during your stay in the UK without working or needing help from public funds

You have to try and show them that he has continuing obligations in his home country which will continue after the visit and therefore convince them that he is not a risk of overstay. Things like a letter from his employer stating he has a job (if he does) and is expected to return to continue that job, return flight tickets, evidence of continuing accommodation (eg. tenancy agreement of evidence of ownership of a property, bank statements showing the money he has available.

He can stay for up to six months and must leave at the end of it. He cannot seek to secure a more permanent stay whilst he – it would not be entertained by the UKBA

If you will assist him during the intended stay you should ask them to go to a local solicitor to draft a sponsorship declaration in which you state the terms of his visitthat you shall accommodate you and shall pay the costs of any unforeseen expenses that should occur during his stay so that nether of you will need to access public funds.

Sorry it could not be better news.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Will this be as a general visitor or family visitor?


What is the procedure? Do i just need to send the sponsor letter from here to Pakistan,will i need to send anything else?


Will he need to put in the application in Pakistan and what else will he need to do?




I woudl apply for a family visitor's visa.

You shoudl execute the sponsorship declaration with a UK solicitor here and then send it to him before he submits his application.

He will need to apply in Pakistan and should contacty the embassy there.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have one final question what other documents/evidence would i need to send with the sponsorship from the solicitor,on my behalf?


Certified copies of your passport, recent utility bill, bank statements for 6 months and of any other assets you hold, evidence of your accomodation (as a minimum0.

The soliciotr will be able to suggest any further documents specific to your declaration when you explain your circumstances to them.

Please rate my answer now.

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you