How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to know if I am eligible to retire in London, UK. My

This answer was rated:

I want to know if I am eligible to retire in London, UK. My only child, who is Canadian, lives there and is married to a British citizen. I am 70 years old and have my own money and am in good health. I know the laws have changed recently so would like to discuss.

Do you require care?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that under the Immigration Rules in place for Elderly Dependent relatives you are not eligible to apply, you will see from the following link that in order to apply and to require that the UKBA must grant the visa it is a requirement that you should be in care and not have anyone in your home country to pay for such care:-

ON this basis you would not be able to apply under the Imigration Rules.

The only possible option to you would be to apply on a discretionary basis which is an application outside of the immigration rules in the hope that you might get the UKBA to exercise discretion and grant leave to remain notwithstanding the fact that you do not qualify under any of the visa categories.

This is very, very hard to do and as a minimum you would have to show that you have sufficient funds to support and accmodate yourself completely independently for the rest of your life and even then I would still put your chances at lower than 50% I regret to say. You would also have ot instruct a solicitor, whose fees I would put at £125-+VAT as a minimum.

The (poor, admittedly) alternative is to apply for a multi-entry family visitor’s visa for a period of ten years, which permits you multiple entries to the UK on a visit basis provided that you do not spend more than 6 months in the UK in any 12 month period. Technically you would qualify to do this anyway because of the visa waiver program with Canada, but the immigration officers can get very sniffy if people continually use the VWP for these purposes.

I really am very sorry I could not have better news foryou.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you