How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I applied for a UK Visa in 2008 and I was banned for

This answer was rated:

Hello, I applied for a UK Visa in 2008 and I was banned for 10 years for some reasons. I applied with a Nigerian passport then and was finger printed. Now I hold a US Passport and wish to travel. I was I do not need visa to visit the UK for few days using a US Passport. I will be visiting France and then the UK. Do you think I will be allowed entry into the UK?


For what reason did they ban you please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They banned me because a friend who invited me sent a fake UK energy bill they said and I was not aware. I do not even know what a UK energy utility bill looks like. I asked my friend and he said he sent an energy bill of his former apartment and he later found out that the account has been closed. Would I be allowed entry from France with a US Passport?


Thanks for your patience.

Right, the reason they have banned you is for deception .This can carry a re-entry ban of ten years.

This means that regardless of which passport you use to enter the county the UKBA should not grant you entry. The simply fact is that they will be aware there is a ban made against that name, Nigerian passport and date of birth. This means that in all probability you would be taken for questioning and then they would probably verify you against the photos that they have in their database.

Of course, they do make mistakes and not pick these things up sometimes but if they do (and they almost certainly would) then you would not be allowed in to the UK.

If you are taken for questioning and you deny being the person, but they then establish that you are then would receive a further 10 year ban.

I am very sorry that I could not have better news for you.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. Are there no Land borders between france and the UK if I should use that?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I mean, can I travel by land border from Ireland to the UK as a US citizen? Do you think the land border would find out those stuffs?


The UK is an island. It does not share borders with France or any other country (including Ireland).

The UKBA shares informaiton with other countries. It is possible that you coudl face the same problems with regard to entering France, if I were you I woudl apply for a visitor's visa for France before you travel so that you can be assured you will be granted entry and avoid sunken costs.

Please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Visitor's visa to France or Ireland with a US Passport? The UK share border with only Ireland I checked.


No, you misundestand. I am saying that you should avoid coming to or applying for a visa for the UK altogether.

Instead you should apply via the French Embassy where you are for a visitor's visa for France before you travel.

Please rate my answer.

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions