Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

i am born and raised in the uk i applied for a british passport

Customer Question

i am born and raised in the uk i applied for a british passport to be told that i am not a british citizen as my mother is not a citizen at the time of my birth. I can not get legal aid as i work how else can get a british passport
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Where and when were you born?

WHere and when was your mother born?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi was born in hackney, london in 1986. my mother was born in jamaica in 1942

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

I am on my way to work now. I will answer at 9.

Where and when was your father born?

When did your mother/father marry (if they did)..

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Where and when was your father born?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, sorry for late reply my father was born in jamaica 1942. My parents got married in Oct 1962

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Ok.

Had either of your parents become a Uk citizen at the time of your birth?

If not, had they received Indefinite Leave to Remain at the time of your birth (ir. the permission to permanently remain in the UK?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no non of my parents did as far as know my mother returned back 2 jamaica shortly after my birth. When stayed over here with my grandmother who raised me till she passed in Aug,2000 as far as know she was a citizen

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Not long now.

Have you been in the UK since your birth?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I ave been here since I was born I travelled once when I was 9/10 to jamaica in the 6 weeks holidays, when I spoke 2 the last solicitor he said I most likely travelled on a jamaican passport which I can not remember

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

You don’t qualify automatically for UK citizenship because you were born in the UK after 1983 to parents who were not at the time and did not become either settled in the UK or UK citizens themselves.

However, you may be able to register yourself as a UK citizen if you spent the first 10 years of your life in the UK and were not absent for a period of 90 days in total.

Please refer to s1(4) of the British Nationality Act which governs citizenship for persons born in the UK after 1983:-
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/61

Please read the above section for confirmation of what I have said.

Therefore, provided you can prove this you should be registered as a UK citizen.

Here is the link to the UKBA page on this form of registrations including how you can apply:-

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/registration/borninuk/

I would suggest this is the best way forward if you meet the eligibility criteria.

Because of the length of time that you have been in the UK there is absolutely no chance that your status in the UK is at risk, just to put your mind at rest.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on your position. Please remember to rate my answer, if you are satisfied.

Kind regards,

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Kind regards,

Tom