How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am six months pregnant with twins. I am from New Zealand

This answer was rated:

I am six months pregnant with twins. I am from New Zealand and currently in the UK on a work permit. My partner is from Denmark and has been living in UK for 6 years. We are not married. Will my children qualify for a British passport? Does my partner need to get a naturalisation certificate for us to apply for passports for our children?

I am happy to deal with your UK immigration law issues.

What has the children's father been doing in the UK for 6 years?

Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Working full time in the insurance industry.

Thank you.

The good news is that your children will qualify for a British passport if born in the UK.

They will be British Citizens by birth in the UK as your partner has been living in the UK for more than 5 years and exercising treaty rights. He is therefore a permanent resident in the UK and any children of his born in the UK are British Citizens.

Your partner does not need to get a naturalisation certificate for the children to obtain British passports.

Your children may also be eligible for NZ and Danish passports.

Hope this helps. Please leave feedback

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does it matter we aren't married as I read that the border agency would want to see the marriage certificate for the children to qualify for British passports?
This is not required, see here (page 11):

All the best
UKSolicitorJA and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you