How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

UK Immigration Law ............. I Married my Philippino

This answer was rated:

UK Immigration Law .............

I Married my Philippino Girlfriend on the 14th September 2012. Today we went to the Philippine Embassy to Register the marriage, and was told I need to Register with the Home Office here in the UK in Croydon ... I have tried calling them on the phone and keep getting a machine ... A machine dose not answer questions or give answers ... HORRIED THINGS
I am (63) and my WIFE (50) wish to know what we need to do and what forms we must get to register our marriage HERE? Also which forms are needed to have my wife granted British Citizenship through marriage? and how do we make an appointment with out trying to talk to a machine ?

Did you marry in the Phillipines, yes?

When you say you went to register the marriage at the Phillipine embassy (I assume you mean Phillipine embassy in the UK), do you mean that you went there to check about how to get her a visa to come here?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

NO ... I married my wife Here in England at Newham Registry Office.

She has worked here for 4 years and is employed as a Nanny/Housekeeper



What is her immigration status in the UK?

What visa is she on?

I'm on my way home now, I will be able to correspond more frequently from about 6.30..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Tom .... My wife is working on a Sponsored Working Visa for a Couple with 5 kids in Maidenhead Berkshire. I meet her through a mutual friend.


Thanks for your patience.

I presume you are asking how to switch here from her current category based on your marriage.

She will need to apply for a spouses visa (ie. Settlement) if she is to switch from her current visa to a spouse visa.

If the application is well prepared and you meet the following eligibility criteria then it will make the application easy and quick to decide upon for the UKBA. To be eligible, you must show:-

• 1. That you are legally married to each other
• 2. You are present and settled in the UK
• 3. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife
• 4. You can support each other without the need for public funds
• 5. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds
• The UK based spouse must earn a minimum income threshold of £18,600, but the figure is increased if children are coming to £22,400 for one child and an additional £2,400 for each further child.
You have to produce to the UKBA documentation that proves the above. This would be some of the following:-
• Bank statements from both you and your wife going back 6 months showing the income/capital you have available
• Payslips (6 month of) and a letter from your employer stating that you have a permanent job, contract of employment (same for her)
• Documentary evidence of any other assets you hold (eg. Shares, evidence of ISAs or bonds)
• Marriage certificate, Birth Certificate, passport
• Evidence of correspondence between you and your wife showing that the relationship is credible and genuine (eg. Emails, letters, evidence of previous trips, photos showing you together, phone records
• Evidence of the accommodation where you will live (ie. land registry officials copies of the property that you own, mortgage documentation, copy tenancy agreement if you rent, council tax statements, house report by a solicitor, letter from landlord confirm he is happy to give you a further tenancy agreement
• You should also include job adverts showing jobs available that your wife could do when she comes here and show, via your wife’s CV, that she has the qualifications and work experience that she would be a viable candidate for those roles
Further information here:-

She will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form FLR(M) Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your wife before submitting it to ensure the best possible chance of success upon determination by the UKBA.

You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would it be possible for you to give me an Idea what a Solicitor`s fee`s would cost as well as the fee for the Visa?

My wife earns only £ 14560.00 and I earn approximately £ 21 k pa less T&I and Living Expenses.


As an After Thought ... My wife earns only £280.00 a week. According to her works contract her Employer is Responsible for paying her Tax and N.I. which she believes have not been paid since starting work for this couple.

Could you give some advice on this account, because when she leaves their employment she does not want to receive a BIG bill from the tax man?


You won't have a problem meeting the financial requirement per the income you have described.

Simply, she needs to check with her employer about the Tax and NI deductions.

Thank you for rating my answer.

Kind regards.

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions