Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am British, employed and have returned to the UK, Cornwall

I am British, employed and have returned to the UK, Cornwall since March this year form living in Spain for 14 years. I married in Spain in 2000 to my filippina wife. We have 2 children with british passports. I am trying to get my wife here on a settlement visa but do not earn the threshold of 18,600 pa. My son is with me in Spain but my daughter remains in Spain with my wife. Are there any mitigating circumstances that I might use to reunite my family in the UK? I have sufficient accommodation am receiving no benefits and my eldest child is already in school locally.

Do you claim disability benefits?

Has your wife obtained permanent residence in Spain and is she able to nauturalise as a Spanish citizen?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not claim disability. I live with my father of 79 yrs in Cornwall. She would probably not be eligible for spainsh citizenship as she is unemployed. In any case it is a 2 to 3 year process. She lives in our family house mortgage paid.

Hi

Thanks for your patience.

The salary threshold only recently came part of the eligibility criteria. It will be successfully challenged in time and probably found to be unenforceable, but it will take at least 1-2 years.

The options, which are not great are as follows:-
1) Wait for it to be found unlawfully by other appellants, presumably not to your liking
2) Challenge it yourself, presumably not affordable because it would cost tens of thousands of pounds (most likely) with a very appreciable risk it would not succeed
3) Your wife to naturalise as a Spanish Citizen. She should take advice in this regard from a Spanish attorney to ascertain (definitively) how long it would take. If it’s not that long (ie. Less than 6 months to a year) then this is a real possibility because once she has this she can exercise treaty rights under the Spanish passport
4) Apply under the Surinder Singh Ruling. However, this would require you to uproot to an EEA member state and work there for at least three months with your wife then apply to enter the UK with your wife under this ruling, which effectively means that your wife would only have to meet the criteria of a non-EEA spouse of an EEA national exercising treaty rights in the UK.

It’s a “backdoor” way to get in, but it does work.There’s an an acknowledgement of the position by the UKBA at 2.5.1 here:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/ecis/chapter2.pdf?view=Binary

5) Your wife to apply in another category. Either as student (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/studying/adult-students/) or as a worker (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/working/ or, most likely under the Sponsored Skilled Worker category: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/working/tier2/general/)

Those are her options in a nutshell. I am very sorry, I don’t agree with the threshold at all.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom