Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My wife and i presently reside in Trinidad and Tobago.We are

My wife and i presently reside in Trinidad and Tobago.We are British citizens and hold EU UNITED KINGDOM passports.We will be returning to the UK to holiday with relatives in May 2013 , from where we will be leaving for a European cruise.Do we need a Croatian tourist visa, for which we believe we are exempt and further do we need a Schengen visa. Thank you.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

Croatia is not an EEA member state, however you will see from the following link from the Croatian Embassy site in London that you do not need to apply for a visa before travelling:-
http://uk.mfa.hr/?mv=167&mh=42&dmid=187

Please scan down the page to the heading entitled "Visa Requirement Overview" for confirmation.

In respect of other EEA member state countries: If you hold full UK passports then this is proof of your UK citizenship. The UK is a member of the EEA and no member of the EEA needs to apply for a visa if they wish to visit another EEA member state. The fact that you are travelling from Tinidad and Tobago is irrelevant.

A Schengen visa is for citizens of countries that do not form part of the EEA and are required to apply for visas to visit Schengen Counties. The Schengen is a visa which permits them entry to Schengen countries without having to apply for a visa each time.

You will be fine provided that your passport are valid for at least 3 or 4 months from the date you attempt to enter the relevant EEA country. This is the point of being an EEA member state, actually.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom