Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

hello, our children were born in UK (2007, 2008,2010,2012)

hello,
our children were born in UK (2007, 2008,2010,2012) my husband has got British nationality since November 2010, I am Polish. What nationality are they? Are we able to apply for british passports for them?
Thank you

What nationality is the father of the children?

Have you applied for Permanent Residence if you have lived in the UK for 5 years?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

father has got british nationality since November 2010, and british passport since January 2011.

No, I have never applied for Permament Residence, even I've been living in Uk since 2005.

Justyna

Hi Justyna

What is the date of birth of the child born in 2010 please?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

before that, I'am affraid. 07.06.2010

Ok.

What date did the father obtain Permanent Residence please?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

15.07.2008

Thanks. Question before I am able to answer:-

What is the date of birth of the child born in 2008>?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

21.09.2008

Hi

Thanks for your patience.

The child born in 2010 & 2012 will automatically be a UK citizen because one of the parent’s was a settled in the UK at the time of their births, having permanent residence is regarded as being settled for the purpose of the application of these rules. They can simply apply for a UK passport without first having to register as a UK citizen.

The other children were born before one of the parents were settled in the UK (ie. Before one of the parents had PR) so therefore they are entitled to UK citizenship because one of their parents is settled in the UK, however they will have to apply to register as UK citizens.

You can apply to have the children registered here:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/applying/applicationtypes/childregisteringasbritishcitizen/

Passport application in respect of the other children here:-
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/agencies-public-bodies/ips/passports/

Presumably, if you are both Polish they also qualify for Polish citizenship as well.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you very much Tom, but we still not clear about child born on 21.09.2008. He was born after my husband obtain Permament Residence and you asked for his date of birth.

Justyna

Hi Justyna,

Sorry I must have read the dates wrong. If the 2008 child was born after he obtained PR then the 2008 child will be be able to apply for a passport straightaway because they are regarded as automatically being a UK citzen in the same way that the 2010/2012 children are.

Apologies!

Please remember to rate my answer.

Tom