How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend in the Ukraine who wants to come to England

This answer was rated:

I have a friend in the Ukraine who wants to come to England to study English. She is 25 years old. And at the moment is setting it up with an agent out there to get her a visa to come her.

She tells me that the British embassy requires her to have at least 5000$ in a bank account. Is this true??

Thanks for your patience.

She is require to apply for Tier 4 Student Visa. Information here:-

As part of the criteria she has to demonstrate that she has sufficient funds for this:-

Please refer to the links on “more information” at the bottom of the above link/

This includes money to pay for her course fees for the first year. So she should have the course fees in her account, she will know what these are.

This also includes money to show that she can maintain herself whilst here without recourse to public funds. If she has not yet studied in the UK she will not be regarded as having an “established presence in the UK” for the purpose of this element. If the course is not less than 9 months then she will have to show that she has enough money to cover the first 9 months.

You will see that the amount required for this depends on whether she is regarded as studying in London as maintance costs are different depending on this (£1000 per month compared to £800.00). So therefore the amount she is require will certainly be in excess of £5000.00 and possibly quite a bit more if she has not already paid her course fees.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you