How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife is in the UK on a spousal visa. We are preparing her

This answer was rated:

My wife is in the UK on a spousal visa. We are preparing her SET(M) form and have realized that her two year qualifying period ends today. Her visa however, is still valid until the end of December.

We still require some of the documentation to send away her application and do not want to send away an incomplete application.

Would it be an issue if we sent her application outside of the 2 year qualifying period but still within the time for which her visa is valid?

When does her leave to remain expire?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tom


Her visa expires on the 23/12/12.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If it is at all helpful the name of her visa is Spouse/CP - Spouse/CP of Mark Pharaoh


Thanks for your patience.

Yes, of course, it would be absolutely fine to send the application after she has met the two year qualification period but before her leave to remain expires. There is no requirement that she must apply as soon as she meets the two year period.

Give yourself enough time to adequately collate her supporting documentation so that the application is as well supported as it can possibly be. There is no rush until you are getting close to when her leave to remain expires.

Please note though that the date of application is the date the application is received by the UKBA and NOT the date you send it, so you should factor this in when considering when to send it,

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Tom

No problem.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Good luck.

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you