How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was issued a spouse visa on the 13th Oct 2010. I arrived

This answer was rated:

I was issued a spouse visa on the 13th Oct 2010. I arrived UK on the 9th Dec. 2010.
My visa expires on the 13th Jan 2013.
Do I need to extend my visa to cover the 7 weeks I stayed back home before l finally apply for my indefinite leave to remain.

Thanks for your patience.

No, you will still be able to apply for ILR before your current visa expires. You will see on the following link under the heading entitled “if you delayed your entry to the UK” that it is permitted for persons who delayed their travel to the UK for up to 3 months to still apply for ILR regardless of the fact that they may not qute yet meet the time requirement by a few months:-

It does refer to 5 years of course, but this is simply because of the rule change in July. It applies equally to those who entered under the old rules and are therefore eligible to apply after two years.

Good news, then.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Are you therefore saying I don't need to apply for an extention but wait for 28 days before my 2 years spouse visa expires to apply for ILR.

Yes, that's precisely what the rules say as you will see from the above link.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you