How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I am an EEA citizen. In October 2011 it has been 5

This answer was rated:

I am an EEA citizen. In October 2011 it has been 5 years that I have exercised the treary rights and so, since I am permanent resident. I have two children, born July 2010 and June 2012. From what I understand my youngest son is automatically a British citizen, but my oldest son needs to be registered as a British citizen. Is this correct?

Have you applied for and obtained Permanent Residence, or have you simply been here for 5 years without making the application?

What nationality is are the children's other parent?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


my husband is Iranian, and he has been granted a Permanent residence card recently. I have not applied for a permanent residence. But my permanent residence was one of the conditions for granting my husband the Permanent residence card (as a spouse of EEA member).

When did you husband obtain PR? What date?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

On th 21st September 2012


Thanks for your patience.

You will only have Permanent Residence once you have actually applied for it and obtained it. It is not necessary for your spouse to get PR for you to have it first, please refer to Note 1 on Section 3 of the form that he would have used to get PR for confirmation:-

If your children were born in the UK then will only obtain UK citizenship at the time of their birth if one of you was “settled” in the UK:-

For the purpose of being regarded as being “settled” you must have Indefinite Leave to remain, which is effectively PR by another name.

Therefore because neither of you were settled at the times of their respective births (even you would have been eligible to apply for PR before your youngest child’s birth) they will both have to apply to be registered as UK citizens now that your husband has PR and is therefore “settled”:-

You will see on the above that this is registration under s1(3) of the British Nationality Act 1981

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you