How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Awan-Legal Your Own Question
Awan-Legal, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 128
Experience:  Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Awan-Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi i am a British Citizen living in the UK,when i was on holiday

This answer was rated:

Hi i am a British Citizen living in the UK,when i was on holiday in the Dominican Republic i met a man who is from Haiti but lives in the Dominican,we want to get married over in the Dominican sometime next year,and i was wondering how we have to go about getting him into the UK,i do not work but i do have a little disability allowance and also on income support.

Thank you Regards XXXXX XXXXX


Once you marry, he will need to apply for a spouse visa which will be granted for 5 years (to be extended after 2.5 years and he can apply for permanent/indefinite leave to remain just before the 5 years ends).

The process and details can be found in this link:

You will need to show the marriage certificate and evidence of contact between you (telephone calls, emails, skype records, photographs together, your travel tickets to see him).

You will also generally need to show the minimum income requirement of £18,600 per annum but the exception is if you are on disability living allowance - in which case you need to show that you have approximately £115 per week income after you deduct rent/mortgage payments and council tax. You will also need to prove accommodation - do you own property or are you renting? If renting, you will need to give your tenancy agreement and a letter of permission from your landlord to consent to him joining you at no extra charge/rent.

Awan-Legal and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions