How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, a quick question. Me (German) and my wife (American)

This answer was rated:


a quick question. Me (German) and my wife (American) just moved to London. Is there any obligation, to tell the authorities, where we live? In Germany, you have to go to something called Einwohnermeldeamt (registration of address office) by law and tell them where you live whenever you move. What about the UK? The got our address when we entered the country anyways.
Thanks for your question/n .

For clarity and the avoidance of doubt, could you please respond to the following USING THE SAME NUMBERING:-
1. Did you wife obtain an EEA family permit before she travelled here as the non-EEA wife of an EEA national (ie. you)
Kind regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1. Yes, we applied over Munich and had the family permit (valid for 6 months, multiple entries!) before we came to London on Sept 12th.


Thanks for your patience.

There is no formal requirement for you to register where you are as a German citizen. However, if your wife applied for a family permit and gave an address where she would reside once she arrived here with you then you should inform them if the address where you are actually living is different. I would write to the address on the correspondence you received from the UKBA when the family permit was granted if this is the case.

The expectation is that EEA national and their non-EEA spouses will apply for a Residence Card once they are in the UK, which is documentary proof of their right to remain in the UK and is granted for 5 years. Technically there is no requirement to do so, because your rights do not derive from this document, instead they derive from your EEA status and the fact that you are married. It is good practice to apply for it anyway though because it avoids doubt in your case and means that your wife will be able to leave the UK and re-enter without applying or a further family permit.

Details on how you can apply here:-
Details on how she can apply here:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the quick answer. Now I realize, that they don't have our current address, since at the time we were applying for the family permit, we didn't have booked any housing yet. At the time, we were staying with my parents in Germany. Officially, I was still conducting my business in the US) and so I put down both these addresses as mail address and business address (I explained the situation in additional info!)


Do you think, I need to tell them our current address now? I don't remember if the immigration officer asked us for the address, but he probably did. So I guess, once we apply for the registration/residence certificate, I will put down the current address, and then they will know for sure...


When do you expect that you will apply for a residence card?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

As soon as I have the necessary paperworks / correspondence for it, so hopefully beginning of October.




I would say that as you are to apply for a Residence Card fairly soon then I would simply include details of your address with the application, obviously there is a space for it on the application form.

If you send an address in now, they may seek to marry it up with your residence card application and, believe me, any kind of complication in correspondence can put the UKBA in to a complete tailspin.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions